9.20.2007

Wearing Black?

I am (a black short sleeve sweater with a black white and grey pleated skirt), but then again I wore black yesterday and I'll probably be wearing black tomorrow as well. I asked Haute is she was wearing black and she said, "Of course, why?" She wears black just about everyday because she says its easier to match your clothes if they are all one color. In fact I damn near passed out from shock when I saw her in a bright orange dress this summer. I'm fully aware of what is going on with the Jena6, and I sincerely hope that justice prevails, but I fail to see how me wearing black or not wearing black is going to effect the outcome of this case.

Some of you might be thinking, well you'd be showing your support. But I got on the train this morning, looked around, and didn't notice anything different. Maybe its because I live in NYC and wearing black is like our trademark and shit. Or maybe because the people that I did see wearing black look like the type of people who wear black all the time. I couldn't help wishing that they picked a more standout color like yellow, red, purple or green.

Then I go to one of the gossip sites and I see they are posting pictures of people that wore black today. And I couldn't help but notice that most of the people were smiling and laughing. It seems like they were more concerned with getting their pictures on the net than getting these young men cleared. This is just my opinion people. I have no idea what was going through peoples heads when they snapped these pictures, maybe their intentions were altruistic. But homegirl in her fishnets cootercutters and cowboy hat that typed "Free the Jena 6 Wear Black on Thursday" on her photo left a nasty taste in my mouth. So did the picture of the young lady that looks like she threw her brothers black wife beater on before she cheeeeeeeesed for the laptop cam. There were very few pictures that reflected the seriousness of the situation. Even some of the pictures of groups of black wearing coworker seemed like they were joking around. And again I ask how does this help?

4 comments:

NaimaEfuru said...

ok it wasn't a cowboy hat, she had on a hoodie but I'm sayin...

Amazon said...

Look at you lyin on people:)

I am wearing black, but I agree with you. How is this going to help the Jena6? Is it going to get them out of the situation that they shouldn't be in? They should have figured out a better way to support those teens.

Whatever the case, I hope that justice prevails and racism fails.

Srenna|Anners said...

I wear black and gray every day.

And why have I never heard of the Jena 6 before?

af said...

i think they shude hav sold t-shirts and used the proceeds to pay for their legal defense.

alot of people dont know wuhs goin on down there, so they need to be educated about it.

i mean really if someone wears a lance armstrong "live strong" bracelette, and they dont know the meaning behind it, then do they even really count? does their show of "support" even matter??

th real question is how can we change/modify/go around the racism that we face everyday??? is there something we can do thatll make every race get along?