9.14.2007

Every Lady Needs...
This is just my opinion, but once you hit a certain age I think every lady needs...

(1) a good jeweler - start thinking of jewelery as an investment as well as just being pretty. Gold is a hot commodity and if you buy good shit, you can have it forever and it won't decrease in value (keep your receipts!) There is a store by my job that I have been going to for years. I take all of my repair work to them, even if it isn't something I got from them, because I trust them and they do good work. They know that I love rose gold so they always show me what they got in new and are very good at knowing what I like. I recently purchased a rose gold bangle. The plan is to keep adding to them (I currently have 4 bangles that I wear everyday, three thin diamond cut ones in rose, white, and yellow gold - 1 each- and my new rose gold one that is thicker than the others) and pass them along to my daughter like my mom did for me and my sister. The silver bangles that my mom gave me I don't wear to much because they are very fragile silver and I've already had them repaired numerous times and am afraid that I'll destroy them. And while I do have some diamonds, they are all from South America - make sure you can get information such as country of origin for all of your gemstones! And a good jeweler will not be afraid to answer any and all questions about their merchandise.

(2) a wrap dress - it doesn't have to be a $300 Diane von Furstenberg (although those are very very nice) but I think every woman should have one. I am of the opinion that wrap dresses look good on every type of body (sometimes with the help of a body slimmer) and can be dressed up or dressed down as the required. My favorite one is actually a BCBG one I got from Filene's Basement, I actually have cleavage in it!

(3) a full slip - this one is kind of hard to find nowadays, as I discovered recently. I'm not talking about a nightgown, or a chemise, or a babydoll. Just a nice simple satin or slinky material slip that will prevent your skirts and dresses from clinging in an unfortunate manner. Bet your mom knows what I'm talking about...

(4) a good tailor - cause sizing is crazy nowadays and a slight nip here and tuck there goes a long way. And cause I'm tired of seeing women with safety pins holding their clothes together. Or at least learn how to sew on a button. My favorite tailor is my Mommy. She rocks! She actually made me a full slip last Brumalia (Google that shit then tell me when Christmas officially became a holiday in the US. Then tell me when the Bible says that Christ was born...sorry for the mini rant)

I'll keep adding things I think a lady needs (Oh, like tissues in her purse - cause you never know when there might not be tp) from time to time. And feel free to leave what you think a Lady (or a Gentleman!) needs

2 comments:

PrettyBlack said...

A lady should also always have a nice white crisp cotton shirt. They are perfect in all seasons.

A full slip you can actually still buy at mervyns.

And I think all men need a nice white pair of tennis shoes plain white. (not all that high top jordan mess) To go to casual dress picnics and concerts with a white button Definitely all men need a black and brown blazer. NOT to be confused with a suit jacket.

NaimaEfuru said...

oooo those are good ones Pretty Black! I'm always looking for good button down shirts, and I dont think we have Mervyns in NY, but I'm gonna check