8.02.2007

Variations on a Theme...

After my sophomore year in high school I had the opportunity to go to an invitational basketball camp. I also had the opportunity to go on a job interview for a great company with above minimum wage summer jobs (I think minimum wage was like maybe $6 back then). The basketball camp was free and I was afraid that I would lose my starting position if I didn't go so I missed the interview.

I spoke to my Mom while I was at camp and she told me, that at least 2 of my friends had gotten jobs at the company and they would be starting the week after I returned. I was a little jealous, but the next thing that my Mom said floored me. "Oh, and by the way, I sent your sister to the interview for you, and you got the job." It was ridiculous to me that anyone would mistake me for my sister, or vice versa. That's not to say that we don't look like sisters, same mom and dad, but come on. So imagine my chagrin when I show up for orientation and the woman that interviewed my sister walks up to me and says "Trouble it's great to see you again." Huh!

Since then we have been mistaken for twins, but I swear these people must not be paying attention or just figure that since they can't figure out who is older (SHE IS) that we must be twins. So skip ahead a few years. My brother in law, the artist formerly known as Hobbles, says to me, "Hey one of my friends wants to meet you." So he sets up the meet, we (Hobbles, Hautey and I) are supposed to go to a friends birthday so he ask dude to come with up. Hautey flaked, so Hobbles picks me up and we go to get old dude. He keeps us waiting like an hour (ok 15 minutes but I'm impatient) and when he gets in the car he barely glances at me. We get to the lounge and I'm thinking to myself, "Dude's kinda rude, he's barely said 3 words to me." So I get at drink (or two) in me and I'm starting to enjoy myself. I'm flirting with a guy or two, cracking jokes with the birthday girl and her man, and I hear Hobbles say "So do you think Trouble looks like Hautey?" And old dude looks really confused. He looks at Hobbles, he looks at me, he looks at his drink, and then he says, "You mean that's not your wife?"

Now granted it was dark in the Lounge, but we had to walk about 5 minutes from the car to the door. And the fact, I'm standing next to dude all night, not next to Hobbles, could have been a clue. But really I'm thinking, dude is not paying attention, Hobbles introduced me and Hautey is like 4 or more inches taller than me. She has browner skin and bigger boobs (smaller butt though), I have highlighted dreads, she's got a pitch black afro. And if I was Hobbles wife, I think it was rude he didn't try and involve me in their conversation. So, I ended up spending the rest of the night dancing with a dude with dimples from uptown... (and I ate all of old dudes french fries in the car on the way home!)

3 comments:

matt williams said...

"She has browner skin and bigger boobs (smaller butt though)."

Booty is what counts.


I can't believe your monther sent your sister to a job interview in your place.

NaimaEfuru said...

til this day, I still can't believe it worked! But I swear its a true story...

Mala said...

come on now, you know we all look alike.

ahahahahahaha
just sayin'