8.01.2007

Hmmm....

Hautechick sent me this link extolling the virtues of a black owned and supported business in the middle of hippster Carroll Gardens. Well I've been there twice, neither time by choice. The first time, about a year ago, we couldn't even get on the block because a fight had shut it down (and when I tell you that they had the security gate down in front the joint with people still inside, i do not exaggerate!)

The second time, we were planning to go to Reign but it looked quiet so someone suggested we try NY Perks. Now I think I should point out that I was not driving and had I been at this point I probably would have taken my tired anti-social ass to Country House for a Chicken Cheesesteak and gone home. And I should also point out that of the three women that I went with, I only really speak/hang out with one of them and of the other two, one is a stupid homeless slag that drives a jag (dead serious) and the other I used to be cool with but that's another story. We walk in and first thing I think is, this is small. So,

(sorry I got distracted and I have to vent. I'm covering for our receptionist until tomorrow and I swear people weren't this stupid when I used to do this. This damned woman on the phone just made me scream out "Dumb Assed Broads" I have nothing against most real estate brokers, but some of them can really work a nerve. now back to our regularly scheduled story...)

So, we head (and by head I mean take two step into the place and then turn right) to the bar to get drinks, which are small but potent and then I notice what could be my mothers older sister and her friends chilling in a booth. I think to myself, well it is still pretty early, maybe they are on their way out. Nope, they are just settling in. Then I see the dj's booth, which is more like a go go dancers platform without the pole (or maybe they just removed it for the night.) And the bathrooms (two individual ones) are right off what I guess would be considered the dance floor - and no one bothers to close the door when they come out. I saw so many bad wigs and weaves, I started patting my head in sympathy - boy did those things look itchy. And one of the wig wearers must have fancied herself a dancer, and half the place (I assume they were with her) is cheering her on and she has seizures all over the place. And did I mention the neon wine glass inside proclaiming that this is a wine bar?

1 comment:

matt williams said...

Your mom's group was getting down,wow. Don't front chic, I know you cut a rug too. Dancing with the old heads.