8.29.2007

Hautechick's Rat Tale

I probably shouldn't post this, cause even though this was started as Hautechick's site, she's never done a post. PLUS she insinuates that you guys might be slightly weird, like their is something wrong with weird. AND I do hate it when she calls me her "little" sister. About 2 years ago I showed up at her job and her co-workers kept looking at me funny, then finally one of them asks me how many sisters I have, just the one, and he's like "Oh, well the way she describes you, I thought you were about 13." FURTHERMORE, she makes it sound like all I do is tell Rat Stories, which makes it clear that she doesn't read this blog. MOREOVER, she's slightly jealous cause you guys read my blog (HA HA you stinker!)

ADDITIONALLY, I don't think she invokes that imagery or imagination that I showed in my Rat Tales but hey...


THE RAT ATTACK

About a month ago, my dear younger (not little as that makes her mad) sister saw both a rat fight and a rat on the subway platform over the course of about 3 days. I am truly petrified of rodents of all shapes and sizes from the ginormous Capybara to the tiniest house mouse - they all freak me out...big time (also, btw the reason I even know about Capybaras is that my persistent and omnipresent fear lead me to do rodent research, so while my fears may be slightly irrational, they're not completely unfounded).
So, back to my sister - after the rat incidents she starting blogging about these rodents in turn creating a following on her blog (I'm sure they're all nice people, but the whole rat bonding thing is odd)...which in turn meant that she began to constantly talk about the rat fight and the subway sighting...with me freaking out more and more with each retelling.
The subway sighting particularly shook me, I made sure that I was never the first person off the train and up the stairs...just in case, I like to call it paranoid preparation. All was well, until last night. As usual I made sure someone was in front of me as we got off of the train....two people actually...and as I was about to follow some random dude up the stairs, when I saw the biggest, grossest rat I've ever seen up close meandering down the stairs...pretty slowly, just grazing some lady's foot...but I was the ONLY one who saw. I;d been expecting this to happen for weeks, but when it actually did, I was frozen with fear...I couldn't move and clutched my chest and emitted the weakest scream ever...keep in mind that I am the ONLY person who saw this rat...paranoid preparation indeed!


10 comments:

Danae said...

I heart being weird. :)

And I hate rats with a passion. They are all over the place downtown and....I can't even think about it. Must go to my happy place....

Srenna|Anners said...

Rats is star spelled backward.

Rats are vile and fug. I see them on the BART stations in San Francisco and Berkeley all da time and they are vile and fug.

PrettyBlack said...

And everyone tells me "ride BART into the city instead of driving all the way from Sacramento...park and ride...Ummm yeah not now"

NaimaEfuru said...

The only parking by my job is for about $40 a day! Conversely a cab to work cost about $30. If I could drive I would

Srenna|Anners said...

Prettyblack: You commute from Sacramento to San Francisco? Aww!

PrettyBlack said...

Oh no "anners" I commuted back in '03 for like 2 months to San Ramon and that was hell!

I go into the city strictly for the shopping, food and culture!

Strictly a union square shopping whore!

(and the occassional chowder bowl-have you ever tried to make those at home? They just don't taste the same)

Srenna|Anners said...

Nope, all I cook is spaghetti and lasagna and HOatmeal. And I never had a chowder bowl! That sounds good! Where can I gets?

Srenna|Anners said...

And I used to take BART into the city when I worked at John Robert Powers Modeling Agency. More rats there than in the BART Terminals fo shizzle!

PrettyBlack said...

Fishermans wharf...Yuuum!

Srenna|Anners said...

Oh, duh! I thought you meant some place in Union Square. Silly Anners.