1.28.2008

Trouble's Corn Chowder

this is in honor of LadyShay, without whom I would have never had the idea.

I can never leave a recipe alone.  Just. Can't. Do. It.  I have to add something, change it and some way, claim it as my own.  So when Lady Shay posted a link to this recipe for Corn Chowder, I had to do something to it.  I couldn't resist.  For one thing, I was out of chicken stock.  And vegetable stock.  And I'm not really a fan of cream of corn soup, although I actually do have that in my kitchen cupboard.  So I searched for other recipes.  I found ones with evaporated milk.  And half and half.  And lobster.  And crab.  And bacon.  Wait a minute that bacon one has a corn stock base, and I have fresh corn.  But I didn't want to use bacon fat to fry my onions.  And I wanted to put red peppers in it.  And carrots, I love carrots.  And I didn't want to make that much soup, cause its just me and Mommy.  So a recipe was born, makes about 3 servings...

2 Ears Sweet Corn
1/4 onion (I used red and yellow cuase there were two small pieces left over in the fridge, I also prefer small onion pieces, so cut how you like them)
2 cloves of fresh garlic, diced
2 small potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
3/4 cup of milk
just enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a small skillet
a nice fat pat of butter, almost a tablespoon
6 baby carrots, cut into bite sized pieces 
a little section of fresh red pepper, seeds removed, cut into small pieces
seasoning to taste
sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
grilled chicken breast (optional)

Cut kernels from cobs, set aside.  Break cobs into 1/3s and place into what I like to think of as a small soup pot aka the pot I use to boil pasta in.  Add a little more than 1 1/2 cups of water.  Season to taste.  (I used a little salt, some cayanne pepper, garlic and onion powders) Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes to make corn stock.  Remove the cobs, make sure there is no silk in the stock.  (The original recipe said to drain the stock, but I just used a slotted spoon to make sure there was no corn silk...)

While the stock is simmering, warm a small skillet over a low fire, coat the bottom with a little olive oil, and melt your pat of butter.  Add chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper, cook for about 5 minutes or until the yellow onion is translucent.  

Add the potatoes, carrots, milk, and onion mixture to the corn stock.  Taste and season according to preference.  (I added some thyme, rosemary, and a little more salt - I tend to be very light on the salt usually, thats why I needed more)  Bring to a simmer and stir to prevent foam from forming (its hard to skim with the kernels of corn)  Cook until potatoes are tender.  Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

I cut up a piece of grilled chicken breast and mixed it in with the chowder.  Then I shaved a nice little cheesy mound of Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheese on top.  It went great with the biscuits I made from scratch yesterday...

3 comments:

af said...

dam u sure ur not in alabama or mississippi, u making chowduhs, and bistits from scratch, we's free now!! haha

i'm gonna try that recipe, it sounds like it'll be perfect for us to eat (w/ 1 left over for lunch).

and for future reference, go buy urself a container of chicken bouillion cubes, add a cup of hot water to one and it's jus like chicken broth from the can or w/e. they last for a longtime, and are alot cheaper than buying can after can of broth, or making it from scratch.

NaimaEfuru said...

I almost peed on myself @ wes free now!

PrettyBlack said...

Corn chowder sounds fantastic...Is it fattening? I'm trying to lose this 3 year ol baby belly...I think after three years you can no longer use your baby as your excuse huh?