1.25.2008

Coockaberry

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry merry merry merry life had he
(that's how I learned it but its supposed to be Merry, merry king of the bush is he)
Laugh, Kookaburra, Laugh
Kookaburra gay your life must be.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Eating all the gumdrops he can see
Stop, Kookaburra, Stop, Kookaburra
Leave some there for me.

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Counting all the monkeys that he can see
Stop, Kookaburra, Stop Kookaburra,
That's no monkey, that's me

Kookaburra had two little girls
Sweet as sugar
and smiles like pearls
Laugh, Koookaburra laugh Kookaburra
Gay your life must be...

This song always makes me a lil weepy, cause my Daddy taught it to me and Hautechick when we were little.  I always thought that he made it up, but its actually an Australian Children's Song.  I also always thought that it was Cookaberry, hence the title of this post.  And I always thought that Cookaberry was my Daddy.  My lyrics are a little different than the original.  The second line is supposed to be Merry, merry king of the bush is he.  But that didn't make sense to lil girls from Bed-Stuy.  Why would anyone want to be king of the rose bush in the front yard?  That thing used to always stick me.  And the last verse I made up when I was 8, after Daddy passed away...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember singing this song when I was at school!
I'm sorry it makes you weepy, but I hope it brings good memories of your dad.

af said...

first time i ever herd that song? on gulla gulla island**! i luvd that show. boy, the father on that show was dark as fuk!! he had this vibrato, velvety thing goin w/ his voice

**
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=gulla+gulla+island&search=Search

Amazon said...

OMG I just recorded Gullah Gullah Island for my daughter the other day. I used to love this song, my stepmom and dad taught it to me I think.

Bed-stuyboii1 said...

Im actually up searching for the "Gullah gullah island" version and stumbled upon this thread... It puts you in a warm place... Bed-StuyBoii