1.24.2008

It was all a dream...

...I used to read WordUp Magazine!  (whose got the next line?...)

As a kid, I really wasn't into watching tv too much.  I was more of a doer than a watcher.  Still am.  But there were some exceptions.  I've mentioned a couple of them, The Muppets, Sesame Street, Electric Company, Mr. Roger's Neighborhood (although I really only like the Land of Make Believe.  You know, the whole puppet thing...)  I also really really really loved ice skating.  Which is completely strange.  I got kicked out of more than one ballet class for my inability to stand still (or pay attention if you have them tell it.)  And I was never ever anywhere close to what you would call a girly girl.  Yet I loved ice skating.  

I think I was about 5 when I finally got a chance to actually ice skate.  I had just started kindergarten, and one of Mommy's co-workers was taking her two kids (a daughter thats younger than Hautechick and older than me, and a son that younger than me by about 2 years) and asked Mommy if she wanted to make it a playdate.  Of course this was the early 80s so no one called them playdates back then.  I was fucking stoked!  I talked about it all week.  Could not wait.  Didn't even care that I couldn't stand the two kids we were going with.  I was gonna ice skate!

So, Saturday comes.  Its a cold clear perfect fall evening for ice skating in Prospect Park.
Mommy:  Tiki (that what Mommy called me when I was a youngin), slow down!  I know you're excited, but you need to slow down and find out what you need to do.  Please be careful!
Trouble/Tiki:  But Mommy, I dreamed about ice skating last night!  I know how to do it!
Mommy:  Tiki just listen to the lady, she's going to explain it a little, ok?
Trouble/Tiki:  Ok, Mommy

She should have never turned her back.  My mother that is.  (What's my name?  Trouble, in case you forgot.  Eh, who am I kidding.  I just wanted to get yall to say my name)  Cause as soon as Mommy turned her back, I was off.  Laced up my skates, and hit the ice!  Ah ha!  I know what you're thinking, that I literally hit the ice.  Shoulda bet you a dollar, cause not only could babygirl ice skate,  I was like a fucking ice skating prodigy!  By the time Mommy found me, I had figured out how to turn!  And you know what she said to me, "Shit!  You really did know how to skate!!"  

I never did figure out that sitting still and listening bit, so I never took any lessons.  But I'm still pretty damn nice on a pair of ice skates.  I could give Apollo Ono a run for his money!  Weirdly enough, I can't get the hang of rollerblades...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Salt And Pepa and Heavy D up in the limousine!

af said...

b.i.g is that dude!

anyway, i iceskated for the first time around age 8, it was ok, a bit cold, buh the fireplace, tvs, snacks in the parents area were a plus.

i do luv to rollerskate though!

Amazon said...

Man, I haven't been rollerblading in forever. I've skated on the ice, but I'm not a fucking prodigy or anything:)