7.26.2007

Tag Your It!

So I've been tagged - how cool. So now whoever else is out there beside Chic Noir, gets to learn 8 things about me (you lucky bastards!) Then I pick 8 bloggers that I would like to know more about. So here it goes

1 I don't have cable. In fact, I've never had cable! And I keep saying that I'm going to get it but then my tv died, yada, yada, yada, and I still don't have cable (or a tv for that matter!) A guy I'm seeing (and by seeing, I mean I haven't silenced his ringer as of yet) told me that I should never tell people that. (you can see how well I listen) So I read alot. Mostly science fiction (I love Octavia Butler (RIP) and I don't like Samuel Delany) with some romance (I never saw the word turgid used so much (Swollen or distended, as from a fluid; bloated) as I have since I started reading romance, usually in reference to someones nipples) and some non-fiction thrown in (that's how I learned to knit and do bead work)

2 My dog weighs more than I do! Even though he still tries to sit in my lap, and seems to think that sticking his head under the bed means he's hidden. He is a rescue/shelter dog, and I highly recommend that if your considering getting a pet, you get one from a shelter. A freaking awesome site that constantly has me wishing that I had more time for another pet is http://www.petfinder.org where you can find animals for adoption from all over the country. He is the greatest thing on 4 legs in my opinion, even when he is shaking his head no at me (he hates water and trying to get him outside in the rain is like a comedy routine - me standing out in the rain soaking wet and pulling on his leash while he stands inside shaking his head. Bath time is pure tragedy)

3 I'm a recovering tomboy. I've always played with the boys, both literally and figuratively! And I was a three sport all-star/captain in high school (basketball, volleyball, and softball) Now the most active thing I do is the above-mentioned tugs of war with my dog! The upside is that I'm completely comfortable around guys. The downside is that I get slightly uncomfortable around a whole bunch of women. One of my best friends is a white boy that I met in 7th grade - hey Bubba! (he actually hates when I call him that!)

4 I love to eat, but I have some weird food issues. I'm allergic to fish, but I can have shellfish (I luuuuv king crab legs - which were $7.99/lbs last time I went to Costco!) I can eat peanuts, but most other nuts cause me to break out. Take the most common food allergies, and flip them and you get me. I also LOATHE eggs(I mean I really really really really really hate them!) Nasty little protein prisons! I hate the way they taste, the way they look, the way they smell, I even hate the way the eggshells feel. I haven't eaten anything that could remotely be taken for an egg since I was 7 and my dad thought I might like my scrambled eggs better if he crumbled up some saltine crackers in them. Obviously that didn't work.

5 I love Coach! (I'm even a preferred customer - if you buy over a certain amount you receive 25% off coupons about twice a year) This is my latest baby http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=9248&category_id=904 . I have it in Camel and wear pretty much everyday. I also get alot of Coach from Off Fifth, the Saks Fifth Avenue Outlet. They have these amazing sales where everything in the store will be buy one get one half off, including all the handbags. I even have Coach Wellies with a matching umbrella. I've been lusting after this though http://www.coach.com/content/product.aspx?product_no=9709&category_id=788 and pretty much all of the Legacy line. I also have a Legacy Turnlock Shoulder bag, that doesn't seem to be on the site anymore. I'd also love a pair of the boots, but doubt I'll buy them since all of the Coach shoes that I have hurt in someway or another.

6 My hair has been natural for most of my life. I'm currently sporting locks (does anybody out there have any locticians that they would recommend in the NYC area?) I had a relaxer for about 4 years (end of high school beginning of college) until I finally got hot one summer and chopped it all off. I actually went to a barber shop around the corner from where I lived and dude just kept asking me "Are you sure?" Alot of the guys in the shop were also looking at me like I'd grown a dick in the middle of my forehead, but I loved it. Especially when it was cut really close to my head and ginger colored. I also loved my afro, but got tired of everyone wanting to touch it. And by the by, to all the dudes who used to practically ignore me cause when we first were introduced I had almost no hair, but now all of sudden think I'm beautiful when the only thing that has changed is that I have shoulder length locks - Dig a hole, you wack ass momofokos!

7 I'm an executive assistant (aka - high priced concierge) and I cannot stand it when people ask me what I plan on doing with my life, or when I plan on going back to school. Like I don't have a real job, or like my job is something that I should be embarrassed of. Shit, I got the college degree, I own my home, I make enough to keep me in Coach bags and the dog full of Benefuls, and I really enjoy my job. No, I'm not saving the world. But to be honest, I tried that. I've had a seat on the Board of Directors of a Community Development Corp. in Brooklyn, done extensive internships with others and you know what I found out? They pretty much a bunch of lazy asses! I was the youngest on the Board and quite often I would be one of three people who showed up to do more than bitch. And that internship, where they were supposed to be building quality low and middle income housing? They built pieces of crap, and don't really care too much about the people who live there beyond collecting rents and getting government subsidies/grants.

8 I've never dated a white guy. I think Bubba may have ruined me for all others! It's never been romantic between us, but he was still the first white boy that I ever had a crush on. (By the way, the crush lasted only until he got me detention for talking in class!)

And yes eventually I will get around to making the site look a little better, and add links and such...

5 comments:

Jonne Austin said...

Hell I am flattered :) THANK YOU!! I will #1) add you to my blogroll because that's how I visit all my peeps :) and #2) read the directions and tag someone else lol

Jonne Austin said...

#4 killed me and #7 made me mad that they didn't take it seriously BUT I am glad that you are happy with what you do!!!! You don't have to prove ish to a soul.

And girl wear that hair natural and proud! That's what's up!

matt williams said...

I also LOATHE eggs- Girl they give some of us the worst gas. I'm talking about don't strike a match gas.

What type of dog do you have?

I'm preparing to make a transition to natural hair. This relaxer sucks and is so not worth it.

You know one of the things that piss me off about my fellow human beings(or should I say Americans) is the habit of asking other people what they do for a living upon meeting them. What bussiness is it of yours what I do. I think all work is respectable. Some people sit around all day and do nothing.

Tell a sister how she can find out about those sales at off fifth avenew.

NaimaEfuru said...

Chic, I dont even know, I just have some magic shopping karma or something, because at least twice a year I walk in there and they are having this sale! Soon as I find out a way to track it I'll let you know!

Danae said...

I, too, loathe eggs. And amen to #7. Go on, live your life girl.