7.12.2007

Get out of Work Free!

A friend was recently telling me about an officemate of hers that is constantly getting out of work early. You wanna know how? He just sets his desk up like he's stepped away for a minute (you know half full drink, music playing, document open on the desktop, maybe even leave your blackberry if it is separate from your cell) and bounces! Yes, its that simple. Even better if you are cool with your office mate, and they can tell people "Oh I think I just saw them go to the bathroom" (personally I would throw in something like "He/she had streetmeat for lunch, so...")

But something I just discovered that works equally as well, put the phone to your ear. No need to say anything and I actually find it works better if you aren't actually on the phone. Just look slightly pissed and whenever someone wants to ask you something, point to the phone. (I got a couple of rude momofokos in my office so on occasion I do have to say "Can't you see I'm on the phone?!" and turn my back to the door) It also helps to write something down or type something every once in awhile. Typically I can get anywhere from 5 to 45 minutes of downtime using this technique. But I should warn you that it doesn't work with the big boss - he comes in my office and is usually so preoccupied that I could have a moose on my head and he probably wouldn't notice!

No comments: