6.14.2007

Ex Reflux

I have a chronic case of ex reflux. Boyfriends, lovers, even friends, they all seem to come back. In some cases, it is definately my fault. I mean thats what I get for dealing with friends of family or friends of friends. I once dated my sisters best friend's brother and to this day I'm still not invited to things that he is invited to. It makes no sense to me since he is married with a kid and I'm still very much single. Or there is the friend from high school who moved to South America during college. She kept in touch initially, but within a year I stopped hearing from her. Then I started running into other people who knew her that would ask why I wasn't at the get together that she had when she was in town, or tell me that they just spoke to her. I wrote it off as a lost relationship. But then, a couple of months ago I get a phone call from a number that looks vaguely familiar.

Its my long lost buddy, and she's going on and on like we just spoke last month. She's back in town, working temp jobs and wants to know what I'm up to. At least that's what she said to me. Now call me snarky, but I'm pretty sure that the reason for the call is to see if I have any connections that she can use. I've been known to put friends on to jobs, housing, discount shopping, etc., even in high school and I'm sure she remembers this. But all I can think is that if we were really friends I would have spoken to her sometime within the last 7 years. And that last time I saw her, I wasn't working and she left town with out giving me back some cash that I lent her. Now I admit, I could have reached out to her, but why bother. I didn't miss her and to be honest our friendship was superficial to say the least. You know the race friends. The people that you form bonds with simply because they are one of the few other minorities present. Any other situation and you would have never ever spoken, but throw a bunch of semi-ignorant white folk in the mix and you've got instant bonding.

Then there is the guy that I was briefly seeing about 3 years ago. Nothing much ever came from it, maybe three dates at most, because he lived in New Jersey and I live in Brooklyn (do or die, never ran never will!) Oh he was nearly perfect, college education, owns his own business and home, only one child, and so much fun to play with. But that extra commute just to get some was not at all appealing. Plus he used to develop a stuttering problem whenever I asked him to pick me up. So I let it go, and he let it go, then about a month ago he calls me. Perfect timing too, because I just stopped seeing another ex, who I gave another chance to. The commute is still a bitch, as evidence by the fact that I still haven't seen him, but I'm thinking I might (key word being might) make more of an effort this time. But still can't figure out what possessed him to call me. And do I want to think about what he's been doing the last three years?

Then finally there is my ex-boyfriend from 9th grade. I hardly saw him at all during my last three years of high school and the 2 years I was away in college even though he lived 6 blocks away from me. Then I hear he moves to Miami and I'm running into him all over the place! He even ran into Hautechick in Miami once. She had no idea who he was, of course, her memory isn't the best, especially when it comes to my conquest. But him I actually don't mind running into. It's never awkward or uncomfortable, and I'd like to think that we've moved from being exes to being friends. He never gets mad that I haven't called him and I could care less if he doesn't call me, so it works. Especially since he doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth

1 comment:

matt williams said...

Lady I would of chased chic down for my money. I don't play with my pennies.
Love your blog.